The young children of today are Virginia's workforce of the future. If our communities are to prosper, our young children must grow to be educated, employable and productive citizens. United Way of Roanoke Valley is a partner and supporter of Smart Beginnings of Greater Roanoke (SBGR), a collaborative of community leaders from business, school systems, nonprofits and private individuals who are working together to ensure that every child in our region enters kindergarten with the skills they need to succeed in school and in life.
Every child in Greater Roanoke will enter kindergarten with the skills they need to succeed in school and life.
To improve the quality of early care and education in the Greater Roanoke region by:
- Providing training and education to early childhood educators
- Implementing the Star Quality Initiative for preschool and child care centers
- Coordinating parent education services
- Advocating for the importance of early childhood education
For parents with children ages 0-5: How can I help my child?
- Attend one of our Parent Education classes. Learn more about how to parent effectively and tackle the unique challenges of parenting babies, toddlers and preschoolers.
- Watch and learn: View several short video and TV segments with tips for parents.
- Find high quality child care that fits your needs and the needs of your child.
- Get resources and information about health, safety and early development.
- Participate in family activities and events in our community.
- Visit the Parent Page on the Smart Beginnings website by clicking here.
For early childhood educators: How can I help the children I teach? How can we improve our program quality?
- Attend one of our quality enhancement workshops held throughout the year.
- View online training videos on a variety of early childhood topics.
- Use the Virginia Milestones of Development as a guide for age-appropriate instruction.
- Join a professional early childhood organization.
- Take an early childhood class at a local community college.
- Participate in the Virginia Star Quality Initiative.
- Stay up-to-date with the most recent information regarding best practices in early childhood education.
- Visit the Educators Page on the Smart Beginnings website by clicking here.
Learn more about Smart Beginnings
- Click here for the Smart Beginnings Parent's Page
- Click here to see the Virginia Star Quality Initiative (VSQI) brochure
- Click here to see the Star Quality Initiative at work in Roanoke.
Kris Meyers, Smart Beginnings Program Manager, talks about Smart Beginnings on Cox Connections!