Millions of people will get their Economic Impact Payment by prepaid debit card
Nearly four million people are being sent their Economic Impact Payment by prepaid debit card, instead of paper check. The determination of which taxpayers receive a debit card was made by the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, another part of the Treasury Department that works with the IRS to handle distribution of the payments.
These Economic Impact Payment Cards arrive in a plain envelope from Money Network Cardholder Services. The Visa name will appear on the front of the card; the back of the card has the name of the issuing bank, MetaBank®, N.A. Information included with the card will explain that the card is an Economic Impact Payment Card.
Those who receive Economic Impact Payment by prepaid debit card can do the following without any fees.
- Make purchases online and at any retail location where Visa is accepted
- Get cash from in-network ATMs
- Transfer funds to their personal bank account
- Check their card balance online, by mobile app, or by phone
This free, prepaid card also provides consumer protections available to traditional bank account owners, including protection against fraud, loss, and other errors. The card will come with instructions on how to activate and use it.
Learn more at www.eipcard.com.
Can I transfer money from my debit card to my bank account? (added June 5, 2020)
Yes. The limit on ACH transfers to a bank account is $2,500 per transaction. This is an increase from the previously announced amount of $1,000 per transfer. You can easily transfer the money from your Card to an existing bank account online at EIPcard.com or using the Money Network Mobile App. You will need the Routing and Account number for your bank account. To transfer funds:
- Call 800-240-8100 (TTY: 800-241-9100) to activate your Card.
- Register for online or mobile app access by going to EIPCard.com or the Money Network Mobile App and click on “Register”. Follow the steps to create your User ID and Password. Be sure to have your EIP Card handy.
- Select Move Money Out and follow the steps to set up your ACH transfer. Transfers should post to your bank account in 1-2 business days.